On April 30th, the packers came and put everything we own into boxes. The next day, the movers showed up and loaded everything into a truck. It wasn't smoothless. First, we failed to make sure that the Bose Stereo that Joe's mom bought us was tagged with a number and we never saw it again. Second, the shipment was several days late arriving in California. Because the curb in front of our building is red, they couldn't park the truck there to unload, so they ended up putting our stuff on a smaller truck to deliver. They still had trouble getting everything unloaded. At first we tried using the parking lot next door, but someone threatened to call the cops. In the end, I think they just parked at the curb, which Mike - our Maintenance Man - said everyone does. All the moving around was pretty hard on our furniture. About half of our stuff had at least 1 scratch.
Getting rid of the extra bed was also a challenge. It sat leaned against the wall in the living room for several months. Finally, Joe gave it to a friend of his that lived in East Bay. Of course now I know that this situation is less permanent than I thought at the time, so part of me wishes we had kept the bed, but it's okay. At least we know someone is getting to use it and we can buy another one. Plus, I'm kidding myself if I think it wouldn't have driven me crazy to have it in our living for 2 years and a storage unit for that bed would have been ridiculous (too expensive vs. the cost of the bed).
It was pretty tough moving from a 3-bedroom house to a 1-bedroom apartment. We got rid of a ton of stuff before we moved. And, we got rid of a ton more stuff that we didn't have room for after we got here. Still scrapbook stuff is piled up in the living room and it has taken over the dining room, along with the desktop computer. We have a suitcase in the corner of our bedroom, along with a couple of boxes with books and magazines. Sigh... I don't know why I care, really. It's not like we have guests or throw dinner parties. It's just us and we're comfortable.
 |
| Could I have lived with this for 2 years? Probably not... |
 |
| In the living room... |
 |
| The poor dining room... |
No comments:
Post a Comment