Surfer Girl

Sunday, October 26, 2014

July 19th and 20th

July 19, 2014

Today is our 11th anniversary! Typically, we take a trip to celebrate each milestone year, but this year we weren't able to (see next post). But even though we were unable to take a big trip, we decided to at least spend a night at the Stockyards Hotel. The hotel is historic (and I LOVE to stay in historic hotels) and has had many mentions in Texas Highways.

Before we made our way to Fort Worth, though, we spent the day as normal - Joe working and me doing whatever it is I do on Saturdays.  This Saturday, I attended a 50th anniversary party for John and Carol Morgan. John and Carol are Theresa's parents and Theresa is someone who has been a friend since we were in junior high. She came to my parent's 50th, so I was happy to go to her parent's. It was great to see everyone and catch up. Theresa and I have grown apart in the last few years, but it was great to see her parents, who seemed so genuinely happy to see me. Plus, I got to see her girls - whose birth I was present at (I even took Theresa to the hospital) and her son, who is now in college at Texas Tech.

Me with John & Carol
Me and Theresa
Theresa's kids - Jonathan, Morgan, and Megan
After the party, I went home and met Joe, then we made our way down to Fort Worth. We checked into the hotel, where we stayed in the Bonnie and Clyde room - the actual room the villains stayed in during a visit to Fort Worth in 1933.  After admiring our room, we walked across the street for a drink at the White Elephant Saloon and then dinner at Risky's Steakhouse.







July 20, 2014

The fire alarm went off in the hotel at about 8:30AM. We had been awake, but were still in bed, enjoying our room. It turns out that the smoker in the restaurant had gotten too hot and set off the fire alarm, which is hyper-sensitive because of the hotel's historic status. By the time that was over, we were totally awake, so we got up and got dressed, then had breakfast at the hotel.

Before leaving Fort Worth, we took one more look around the stockyards. We've been there many times, but it is still fun to walk around. We were minutes from the Fort Worth Herd doing their twice daily walk around the block, so even though we had seen it before, we stayed for an encore.




From downtown Fort Worth, we went to my parents. We had shared dog-sitting duties with my parents while Debbie Lou Hoo went out of town for vacation and we had our weekend in San Francisco and she had thanked us with a gift certificate for Babe's. So, for our late lunch, we had a free meal at Babe's!

So...it wasn't exotic and it wasn't a the week long adventure we're used to, but it was still a fun weekend!

No comments: