Of course you know how much we love to travel, but on February 1st I did something a tad bit crazy. I made reservations for us to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. This, in and of itself wouldn't be so bad, except for one detail. What goes down, must come up. Meaning, of course, that we will also have to hike UP the Grand Canyon in order to get out of it. And, the funny thing is, this isn't the first time I've attempted to make reservations. In fact, it's about the 5th. So, no, I don't take signs from God very well. I burst forward and do what I think I want to do.
I really do think it will be a cool trip, but it's a little alarming when you commit to do something and then when you start to research it you read: "Every year, scores of unprepared hikers, lured by initially easy downhill hiking, experience severe illness, injury, or death from hiking in the canyon. Travel in Grand Canyon National Park’s backcountry has inherent risks and involves unavoidable hazards. Your safety depends upon your judgment, your experience, and a realistic assessment of your abilities." Hum. I don't like to undertake things that could cause death. Nor do I have a realistic assessment of my abilities. If I did, I probably wouldn't have booked this trip!!!
The good news is that I have a year to get ready for it. AND, I can cancel with no penalty. Of course, in all honesty, I don't want to cancel. I want to get off my large butt and get in shape and hike!!! I'm truly hoping this will be the inspiration and/or motivation I've been needing.
I will, of course, keep you updated...
No comments:
Post a Comment