Surfer Girl

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Big One!

You know what the #1 New Year's Resolution made is? Yep - losing weight. Sadly, that's been my resolution every year for more years than I'm willing to admit. I just watched the season premier of the latest Biggest Loser (and it's the BIGGEST Biggest Loser), so while I know it could be worse...well, I know it could be better.



Jillian (on the Biggest Loser) claims that behind every fat person is some suppressed feeling and that the person is eating to avoid it. For example, some feeling that you're not good enough or you have some repressed childhood memory. Now, I suppose that if I have a repressed memory, I don't know it, but I really don't think so. I think my problem is that losing weight is hard. I have enough friends with weight problems to know that the way I think and how I act is typical. We all complain about our weight. We all claim we're going to try harder. We all start again next week. We all weigh the same or more than we did at this time last year.

I used to tell everyone that I was dieting in hopes that I would be humiliated into sticking to it. Then I switched theories and told no one when I was dieting in an effort to cover up failure if it happened. I've tried to think of it as a "lifestyle change" instead of a diet. The problem with all those theories is they don't matter. It's what you do (or don't do) that matters and I haven't done anything consistently enough to make a difference.

So...here I go again. I hope I can succeed, but I make no promises. I know I would feel better and I would feel better about myself. I know it CAN be done. I guess we'll see!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Your picture made me laugh! It's like a mugshot with the sepia tone and UGH!!! written on it...picnik site by chance?? :) Love that site!

Here's my idea - watch less Biggest Loser and more Rock of Love Bus. Watching Rock of Love Bus will certainly cause you to lose your appetite, and thusly the pounds will melt away! :)