The conference was at the Venetian, which we've been to before, but since we arrived late, they had to put us in a room at the Palazzo. Bonus!!! We can now say we've stayed at the Palazzo! I was in "classes" for about 2 1/2 days so Joe was able to run around Vegas. He even saw the Nascar celebration on the strip. The Nascar season had ended, so all the drivers were in Vegas for the awards ceremony. While there, they block off the strip and the drivers parade the strip and do donuts. It would have been fun, but alas, I was learning something (or at least earning CPE credits).
When the conference ended we had to check out of the free hotel because I didn't book in advance and I wasn't paying $500/night for the Palazzo. Instead, we moved down the street to the Luxor. I was a little disappointed that they put us in one of the towers, instead of in the pyramid, but a room is a room, right? At least in Vegas it is. Ha!!!
That night, which just so happened to be Friday night, Joe's cousin invited us to go to Caesar's Palace to see Shania Twain. Now, I am NOT a country & western music fan, but I am a fan of shows and it was at the very end of Shania's tenure at Caesar's, so I was all in. I even knew a lot of the songs and in spite of myself I had a pretty good time!
While at the Luxor, we went to see Bodies: The Exhibit and Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition. We had seen one version of the Titanic exhibit in Fort Worth with Joe's mom, but this one is a permanent display. It has the largest single piece of the Titanic's hull that was recovered and many other artifacts. They even give you a boarding pass and at the end of the exhibit, you find out whether you lived or died. Eeks.
We couldn't take pictures inside the Titanic exhibit, so I had to buy the cheesy one they take of you so I could have a picture of the piece of the hull. I've added it to my stack of hundreds of these cheesy pictures that I usually let myself get suckered into buying!!
The next day, we headed down to Mandalay Bay and checked out their aquarium. It was pretty darn good for a small aquarium! They had Komodo Dragons (which kind of freak me out) and a really cute shipwreck tank. Plus, they had various other fish - a lion fish that I particularly liked - and the standard sharks, jellyfish, etc. It was pretty enjoyable, I must say.
That ended our short adventure in Vegas. We got a few things marked off the list, so I consider that a success!!!
While we were in Vegas, I officially accepted the job at Virgin America, too. Whew!!! When we headed home to Texas, a big decision had been finalized and we were facing some big changes!!




No comments:
Post a Comment